How CBD Became the Unexpected Star of Legalized Pot (rollingstone.com)
Topics: medical cannabis, numerous states, federal law, pharmaceutical drugs, medical professionals, California, high potential, medical benefits
- This means that, according to the United states Drug Enforcement Agency, marijuana has a “high potential” for abuse, as well as “no currently accepted medical treatment use in the U.S.” Therefore, for the DEA to determine if a product is federally legal, they start by seeing which plant the CBD came from – marijuana or hemp.
- Technically speaking, the CBD produced in marijuana is exactly the same as CBD from hemp, though according to the federal government, only one of those kinds of CBD is ever legal – the kind that comes from hemp.
- Technically speaking, the CBD produced in marijuana is exactly the same as CBD from hemp, though according to the federal government, only one of those kinds of CBD is legal.
- When a person experiences some kind of pain stimulation, Kerklaan says, “it feeds into your spine and triggers muscle tension and muscle spasm; by applying these topically at the skin level, the cannabinoids bind to some of these nerves and you’re able to turn off some of these loops and reduce the inflammatory response.”
Hemp brings jobs and more than $16.7 million in sales to Kentucky (courier-journal.com)
Topics: Senate, Congress, majority leader, Rand paul, Mitch McConnell, Kentucky, controlled substance, legislative change
- “My goal is to make Kentucky an epicenter for hemp farmers and processors,” Quarles wrote, according to a copy of the letter obtained this week by Courier Journal.
- He said he wants Kentucky to “have a head start in the race against competitors in other states,” as he anticipates Congress will remove the crop from the list of federally controlled substances.
- McConnell was key to the federal “2014 Farm Bill” that gave states the power to allow industrial hemp and to test the market to see if consumers would buy its products — which range from “superfood” seeds to clothing and cannabidiol or CBD oils used to treat headaches.
Bringing the Power of CBD to Pets (petbusiness.com)
Topics: health benefits, positive effects, emerging trend, business opportunities, product line, Florida, South Florida, heart health
- The potential that the hemp extract holds for pet health, combined with the overall opportunity that a growing pet care market holds for innovative businesses, made tailoring a CBD line for companion animals an attractive proposition for POTNetwork Holding, Inc. (POTN) , one of the premier developers of cannabis-based products across a wide variety of human-focused categories.
- “We work directly with our partners to get the industrial hemp and extract the CBD, and we manufacture the products ourselves—whereas a lot of other CBD companies are actually having others do the manufacturing for them.
- As the company continues to grow its product lines, it is also focused on educating consumers, retailers and the wider pet care community on the positive impact that CBD can have on pet health, as well as what makes Medipets CBD a superior supplier.
- The site serves as a hub for learning about the many health benefits associated with CBD, as well as what separates Medipets CBD from other suppliers in the category.
Now legal in Indiana, CBD oil open for wide-ranging medical uses (nwitimes.com)
Topics: high doses, epileptic seizures, type 1 diabetes, immune system, recognition memory, state legislature, Senate, Food and Drug Administration
- “The body has two receptors for cannabinoids, called CB1 receptors and CB2 receptors.” Damasius explained that CB2 receptors are more common in the immune system and that they affect inflammation and pain.
- “CBD oil influences these CB2 receptors so that the body uses more of its own natural cannabinoids.” In effect, the CBD oil helps the body help itself.
- CBD oil’s effectiveness in combating inflammation is a major reason medical personnel turn to it, according to Dr. Jeffery Smith, a physician at Healing Arts Center in Valparaiso who specializes in the treatment of Lyme disease.
- Initial research published in the Journal of Alzheimer‘s Disease found that CBD prevented a loss of social recognition memory, so those in the early stages of Alzheimer’s won’t lose their ability to recognize the faces of people that they know.
Cannabis Industry Pleads Its Case Against Possible Texas CBD Ban (leafly.com)
Topics: state legislature, Legislature, medical marijuana, legislative process, Texas, Public comment, DENVER, controlled substances
- DENVER (AP) — A month after a Texas health agency proposed cracking down on CBD, the cannabis industry is actively trying to change the minds of health authorities about CBD to keep the products on shelves throughout the state.
- In addition, a lawyer representing the Texas Cannabis Industry Association (TCIA) questioned whether the health department, which did not participate in discussions about the state’s new low-THC medical marijuana program, was the right agency to make such a decision.
- She gave no timeline for a decision about CBD in Texas but said the agency’s decision won’t be subject to review by the state Legislature because the agency does not consider the crackdown to be a new regulation, just enforcement of an existing rule.